Wednesday, September 16, 2009

JRR Tolkien

Well, I had a nice change of pace today at the internship. I was allowed to cease my obsessive stalking of Ted Turner, his family, his friends, and everyone he may have ever communicated with, and allowed to work on country readers. The high point was reading about Miller, and his description of his classes at Oxford. He had JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis as professors while there. He talked about how Tolkien never actually got threw all of the course material because he would get side tracked, and would talk to the class about what he was currently studying as far as mythology or Middle English or linguistics, even though he was supposed to be talking about Chaucer or Milton.

On the way back I stopped in Chinatown and got a quesidilla from California Tortilla. So, I've had mexican food four days this week. And then I walked from Chinatown home, figuring it was only two metro stops from union station. It wasn't a bad walk, and I got to see more of DC, especially the Government Accountability Office. Hmm....

Tomorrow I can call back to main State and see if I can get my badge!

I'm undecided if I want to do a DoS grant this summer and study a critical language overseas, if I want to go to a language institute and study a critical language. If I want to do an internship in DC this summer. If I want to do an internship overseas? Or, if I want to stay home all summer, get a job and work like crazy. Or, maybe get a job on campus and live on (or off) campus.

No comments: